Sunday, September 14, 2008

Continued: an unexpected meeting

Between the days we met Apollo and now, a lot already happened.

This man is really very special. He literally gives his life for the well being of the children.

Not only did he open his house for 23 street children, started a workshop to teach them auto mechanics, but is also in charge of the Youth Center in Molweni.

I only discovered that this week.

We knew the Youth Center from passing by, but we never took the initiative to walk in there.

It didn’t feel right to me, just to walk in without having been invited …

Apollo asked us yesterday to pass by and we didn’t let him offer it twice.

Dance, music, laughter and listening… A wonderful house with different rooms and activities in each room.

The children all enjoyed themselves tremendously, really great to see.

The house is situated in Molweni and is bought by the Rotary Hillcrest. It is completely tidied up and in good condition.

The first thing that struck me was that all rooms were empty, no furniture, nothing.

I asked Apollo how it comes that there is completely nothing in the house. Answer: “Money”. They bought this beautiful house and we can use it entirely but we have no funds to buy the simplest things. Finding the money for electricity is already quite a task every month.

Gosh … what a pity, finally there is a place where the younger can go to and where activities are offered and then there is no money to buy even a simple chair.

Next week I have a meeting with the members running the house with the sole intention to listen to them and to see what their aims are. It looks fascinating to hear their ideas.

Next to this nice discovery, I was surprised by something very special.

Since a while we are in contact with Wade Wood of the organization “Hart 4 Africa”.

This organization stands for the well being of each individual. They have various workshops and development programmes.

I told Wade of this project “Help Street Kids” and also of the project that is very dear to me: "Sithembakuye" in Kwanyuswa.

Wade listened very carefully to my story and told me that he would think about it.

The same evening, Russell of Sithembakuye phoned to thank me. Completely surprised I asked him why.

Wade had visited them and had donated a lot of food for the children and would come back the next day with some professionals to replace all windows and the locks of the doors.

I was overwhelmed, 1 conversation with Wade and suddenly so much response.

Just look at www.sithembakuye.co.za for a moment.

But a next surprise was already waiting for me.

In the afternoon I got a phone call from Wade:”Just to hear if you are home, I am passing by.”

Completely ignorant I waited for Wade.

Half an hour later he arrived with a truck full of food parcels.

I had told him about 4 families in need that we support and of the boys of Apollo, the street children.

I didn’t know how and what to feel.

Some time ago someone told me that I am a “natural talent” in convincing people … would he be right after all?

Warm hug

Gunter


No comments: